Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2023

I found a video that Scott would have liked


My friend Scott liked Lou Reed alot, his album The Blue Mask, and its song "Waves of Fear" especially. I don't know whether Scott had ever seen this interview, but he would have liked it. I like the interview because Reed isn't disagreeable in it, despite that he speaks candidly about his dislikes, and he ends it with a self-deprecative joke.

Scott killed himself, and I live next door to the last place where he'd last paid rent on Earth. I have to pass by it at least twice each day. That tears me up on a subconscious level. He'd lived next-door to me for three months, and during that time was a better friend to me than anyone else in town. In fact, the shock of his suicide caused me to realize that at least 80% of the people I knew were narcissists or sociopaths. That's about par for Austin, Texas – but couldn't they experience a moment of existential clarity and feel badly enough about what they let each other get away with, and just do a mass suicide? I hope that they're all "vaccinated," at the very least. Anyhow, Scott, I know you're reading this, so here's this cool interview with Lou Reed.