Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Carrey On

It's hot, where I live. There are a lot of new arrivals, who haven't experienced the five-month inferno called "summer" in Texas. Whether or not they've been brainwashed into the "climate-change" psyop or just not familiar with the concept of living on the same latitude as the Sahara Desert, and despite that yes, this summer has been particularly hot, they love to get dramatic about it. Myself, I've come to expect this and the inconveniences it poses; complaining about it just makes it feel worse. (Do people on Wisconsin complain about the snow in winter, or just about having to shovel it?) Over the past dozen years, I've lost three Macbook Pros due to their batteries' near-exploding due to the heat in my apartment in mid-summer, despite their proximity to a window unit. Before midnight, it's too hot in this joint to get to sleep. I have to get my errands done by 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning. As I write this at 5:30 AM, the official outdoor temperature here is 80 degrees Farenheit. Such is the price one pays for access to good Mexican food, which really is the only reason for anyone of European genetic descent to be living in Texas.

The augmented time indoors and resultant cabin fever have led me to seek more diversion, one form of which has been watching old Jim Carrey comedy movies. Calling them "old" now makes me feel old, since I remember when they'd come out. During that era, however, going out to the movies wasn't on the menu much, and renting movies wasn't something I did. As these movies make me cackle at their silly bits, I wonder whether it might be a case of my sense of humor's being old-fashioned, but Carrey's comedic style is derived from that of Jerry Lewis, whose movies I'd loved as a kid, and still appreciate. The style of the filmmaking definitely seems "dated," as do the hairstyles and clothing, and the grain and colors of the film stocks, but on the other hand, watching these movies is a welcome return to a more "innocent" (less cynical) time, providing me with the jolts of levity that I presently need.