The head-scratchiest of all such contretemps, however, came today on Reddit, when I messaged the Mod as to wherefore a comment had been deleted (per the Mod's posting the knuckle-rapping public post beneath my comment). Here it is:
What had been offensive about my comment?
Mod: Seriously? Do you really need this explained to you?
Me: Do you have to ask me why I need it explained to me?
Mod: OK here ya go: you made a post that could be viewed as racially charged and we aren't about that here.
ME: That's a product of your imagination; farthest thing from my mind.
Mod: "Akshually, I don't think what I said was offensive and since no one but me matters it couldn't be. You are wrong, because I never could be wrong."
Me: I don't know what you mean by that, but it seems that you're probably mocking me for words that you're projecting into my mouth. That would make two erroneous and unjust assumptions on your part. I'm not playing games, I was sincerely befuddled as to why someone's thinking that my equating the annoying claptrap of that talk show with Bigfoot screeches and chatter (my idea of humor) might be considered so offensive, much less potentially construed as "racist." I suppose that anyone could POTENTIALLY take something the "wrong" way according to their predilection and hold the issuer's feet to the fire because of that, but that doesn't come with a built-in justification.
Mod: You compared an African-American woman to an ape. This is a well-known racist trope.
Me: Bigfoot is not an ape, and my reference was to the TV show "The View;" I know Whoopi as the principal cast member. The comparison of a black woman to a simian was made in your mind. That's racist of you.
Mod: We are under no obligation to entertain your denials, what you said was hate speech that doesn't change just because you refuse to see it. Stop filling up Mod Mail, behave or find another Subreddit.
Me: It's not "hate speech" just because you want to see it that way, as you'd said that "it could be interpreted" as such, or don't want to admit that you're possibly wrong. I realize that I must be dealing with someone much younger than I – impressionably "woke" and thereby sanctimoniously punitive – and too inexperienced in life to grasp nuances and shades of conversational intent. And you should have assumed by now that I'd have unfollowed your subreddit – now go fuck yourself, kid.
