Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Lost Weekend

Yet again, all weekend I wrangled computer stuff instead of using it for music-making. I did get laundry done, but no one cares about that except the people who have olfactory reason to suspect that I've been wearing the same pants for five days. I have a 2017 iMac and a 2012 Macbook Air. The former is, of course, my main rig, and the latter is what I use whenever the former is messed-up. (That's called "back-up" in tech parlance.) I had considered upgrading my Mac OS from 10.14 (which I had on both machines) to 10.15, although tentatively, as I suspected that it might deprecate some earlier-version software. The Macbook Air could serve as a test subject, however, so I let the upgrade run. Sho'nuff: Audacity 2.1 (the one that I'd mentioned as my preference for sound-manglin' didn't survive. I considered the compromise in upgrading my iMac to 10.15; that I should perhaps bid farewell to old habits and tricks for the sake of – what? Oh, yeah: Kontakt 7 has just been released, and it runs on 10.15 and higher. I decided that I should keep testing software to which I've become habituated or attached. Sho'nuff: more cool stuff that I like to use won't even install on 10.15.

I don't mind remaining on 10.14, even if it makes me feel like when I'm having to stay indoors and do chores while all the other kids are out playing. That was what it was literally like, too: a most beautiful day out there; I was indoors, running an update of an OS that won't run my good shit. And all that real musicians have to complain about is that their drummer was late to practice, again.