Early June, 2021. Since months ago – even prior to February's Snowmageddon – it's been raining more than in a coastal town, here in south-central Texas. Having lived in coastal towns, I'm appalled and perplexed by how much it's been raining, with an average of one sunny day per week, with some weeks with none. This ain't regular, to say the least. The first high-of-100 day should have occurred within the past month's time, but it hasn't happened yet. By now, it would normally be so hot that one wants to get errands done by 11:00 AM, but the rain makes one want to forestall such – to save it for a sunny day.
This past week, I was listening to my latest album by me and got the notion that it would sound really good on vinyl. I also realize that I've never released any of my music on vinyl. I looked into the costs of such, and although the figures are variable, it would require $2,000 for me to make it so. It's not a medium amenable to the "on-demand" model. I would have to make room for at least a couple hundred LPs in my closet in order to have one for myself and two for the Library of Congress. Maybe next life.
A couple nights ago, I passed by a bar downtown where I'd used to go to hear that infamous "live music." It hadn't been the plandemic that had curtailed my going out to hear bands, nor even my quitting drinking well before that – although when one is sober and talking with a drunk person, one is having a drunken conversation, which feels like a big step back for me. What had dissuaded me from going out to that particular place was an interaction with one particular musician who played there regularly. The experience was characteristic of what one will experience with musicians, however. Anyhow, looking in through the doorway of that bar, I wanted to go in to hear bad music played really well – but it wasn't yet dark, and I was enjoying walking around amidst a city that seems to be trying to come back to life, almost as if in defiance, or in ignorance, of its being turned into a shithole. It will have to wait for some evening when it's not raining.