Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Human & Monster for Scale



In the middle of April (being now early May), I had put strings on a guitar that I hadn't played since June of 2019 (being now 2021), and set about to bash-out some songs. (See the previous post.) There were some lyrics I had recently written, but also some dating back as far as a couple years, the latter confounding me as to how to make songs of them, although in a couple instances I had started and abandoned the results.

A couple of those lyrics seemed too verbose, even "literary," to deal with musically. Ironically, putting them over four straightforward chords or so ended-up doing the trick, lending themselves to better melodies than I would otherwise have landed upon. In fact, I hadn't even known what the melodies of some of these new songs were going to be until I sang them over the completed music during recording. This project was all about letting things just fall into place; it all landed where it should.

Some of the sounds on this new material sound like synths or "symphonic" sample libraries, but they are guitar through effects. In fact, one song, "Chemical Clouds," had lyrics and music, but the latter was so stupid that I just kept the guitar track, and put it through a series of effects chains, on multiple tracks, which I ended-up liking.

Human for Scale is all songs (if one counts the instrumental rendering of "Chemical Clouds"), and Monster for Scale comprises instrumental pieces, mixes, and alternates that resulted from this flurry of activity. (It's preferable to consume the latter after having ingested the former, of course.) Frankly, hardly any of it is far from what one might have heard from me in the past, apart from the organ-grinding on the song "Last College" and a couple other things, but I'm content with it all.