Pages

Friday, December 15, 2023

Making Book

Not that I need more projects to occupy my time, it's just time to publish another book of my lyrics by me. More accurately, it's time to revise and supplement that volume, which had comprised lyrics 2010–2015, but instead of putting that back in print along with another collection, it makes more sense, in every sense, to expand the content through 2023; under a new title and ISBN. Since previous publication, on-demand printing/fulfillment companies have proliferated, although several seem to be affiliated with IngramSpark, which might be the one that I'll end up using. Although these companies offer distribution to booksellers, and even to libraries, the irony is that I expect no one to buy any copies. I just want to have a couple to send to the Copyright Office, one for my own use, and maybe a few to give a way or to sell for exorbitant prices to hapless sycophants.

While compiling the additional lyrics to be added, I noticed that there was none from 2017. I had to reflect as to why I'd not written any songs during that time. I may have written lyrics that were later put to music, but I'd produced nor released no songs during that year. In fact, I saw lots of productivity during early 2016, then hardly any during the latter half of that year, and also that my songwriting activity remained relatively scant during 2018–2019. On reflection, I realized that during most of that time I'd spent most of my free time out of the house, going around town, shooting video for a film that, after almost four years of assiduous effort, I no longer felt like editing. So it goes, and so it went, and with that preoccupation off my shoulders, my song-production gradually gained momentum through this year, which has matched that of 2016, the previous boon year. In fact, 2020 onward has seen me cutting a lot of artistic crap and focusing more energy into the integrity of the songs themselves. Such contraction-expansion cycles are inevitable, and can be quite restorative for one's creativity.

No promise on the release date of the book, though I'd like to get it over-and-done some time in January, 2024. Not that anyone's looking forward to obtaining a copy by paying for it, but one has to do everything for the sake thereof, without anticipation of any return on the investment of time, intention, resources, and oneself.