Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2022

It's about out east

click to enlarge
After 35 years, I finally have in my possession everything released by J.V.C.F.O.R.C.E. When I first heard their song "Strong Island" in late 1987, the world changed for me, and listening to it today excites me as much as it had then. It seems like one of those moments of creativity that funnels so much into it that it just cannot be "understood." Even the video showing how the music was constructed leaves me screwing-up my face as I exclaim, "No, there had to be more to it than that!" The jam is monotonous, but the MCs build intensity along the way. Until this video, I'd not even known what the guys looked like, and although I prefer not to know what musicians look like, to let the sounds stir my visual imagination, it's a valuable cultural artifact.