Back in the early '80s, what came to be known as the "Goth" genre of rock music hadn't had a designation. It was that stuff that was enjoyed by chicks who had intentionally-messy-looking dyed-black hair, wore loose-fitting all-black clothing, and allegedly had sex with each other in graveyards (although I once did, myself, bear witness to evidence of such a tryst). "Necro" was the only applicable term I'd heard bandied-about, but it was definitely a type of music that required a particular wardrobe and/or hairstyle in order to appreciate. Toward the end of the '80s, the term "Goth" seemed to have stuck, as music journalists and A&R twerps had to come up with terms that designated types, just as the terms "jocks," "stoners," and "nerds" had in high school. Heck, I remember industrial music before there was "industrial," and it wasn't even "industrial" then; it was what since became appellated as "noise." Each arbitrarily-designated musical genre of the era had to have a particular style of dress and hair to go with it. If there ever had been a genre that had required its adherents to be naked and hairless, I'd really missed-out, though it might be worthwhile to create one.
Here are my 10 favorite Goth-Rock records, which for me have withstood four decades of ephemeral, manufactured serial trendiness:
10:
8:
7:
6:
5:
4:
3:
2:
1:
Bonus:

