One thing I have given-up is playing guitar. It's not that I plan on never doing so again, I just got tired of writing guy-with-a-guitar songs. In doing the new mixes of the songs, last week, I could hear how I had been bound by my own capabilities and limitations in playing that instrument, and thereby prone to repeating ideas and techniques. It became like a conversation that one keeps having with someone whose friendship one has outgrown – you two keep returning to it because it's a vestigial basis for the bond between you. That's how I feel with guy-with-a-guitar music. I can still appreciate the songer-singwriter thing, the band-guys thing, et al., but such also feels like relapsing into old habits which had held me back (though I do grant myself one instance of drinking alcohol per season). Scraping and clanking away at a guitar is just not what I want to do, anymore. When I started playing guitar again in 2011, it was exciting to be making pop-rock songs again, but it also diverted me away from a much more imaginative musical adventure on which I had embarked without the encumbrant baggage of guitar in hand. I'd like to find my way back to that path in the wilderness.
Listening to these "old" songs with new mixes, I realized also that, after the point where I'd left-off, I couldn't have done anything new with guitar. By contrast, some guys-with-guitars I've known have been quite successful by doing the same things as they had a long time ago. There are some musicians who fret that doing something new might alienate their established audience, despite that some people might welcome the change or be newly enamored of the stylistic divergence. I myself don't have a sense of having an audience, and I am always concerned that I might not be doing something different enough from what I've done before. Moreover, my artistic life lies on the same continuum as my personal life, so if I'm experiencing an overhaul in my attitude toward how I lead my life and deal with others, I'm going to feel that I should be writing different types of songs and making different-sounding music. Even if this not be conscious, it is inevitable. I'm tying to express, not to impress.
