Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2020

I haven’t played guitar in at least a couple years.

I haven’t played guitar in at least a couple years. I may have changed the strings on my sole guitar during that time, “intending” to get back to playing it again - partly because it sits on a stand within reach of where I sit at my desk, and partly because I’d felt that I were “supposed to” play it, because I’m supposedly a guitar player (though more realistically, just someone who plays, or played, guitar). It seems as though over the past few years, I’ve turned a lot of cognitive corners, over the course of a lot of mental mileage, and in the hurry to get back on the road, had left guitar-playing behind at a gas station where it had said it would be back in a bit, it just had to take a pee.  

In the past decade or so since I’d started making music again, I’ve played guitar concurrently with using software instruments - but didn’t take-up the guitar again until I was a couple years into it. A rekindled relationship with the guitar led me off the innovative course I’d been establishing for myself by hacking-away through the software jungle; I started writing normalesque pop/rock songs. It led me to “reference” rock music on which I’d grown-up, inducing me to adhere to the conventions thereof. Recently, I had to admit to myself that I had done everything I was physically capable of doing and musically inclined to do with the guitar. I could say that the guitar had constrained me somehow, but my own limitations with it had been met, although at times exceeded. Some guitar-players keep expanding with their technique and musical innovation; others keep hoeing the same row, either because they don’t know any better or because “what they do” has brought them so much wealth and success that it’s too late for them to change. I’ve written and recorded some really good songs with guitar, but I also have by just going out for a walk for an hour and singing to myself. Some really good songs have been inspired from hitting one note on a software synth, and the magic of being so moved merely by a new and novel sound is the coolest thing I can think of, nowadays.