Not only have I been, for almost a year, distracted from posting to this blog, but I've been semi-on-purpose distracted from music-making for most of the past two, almost three, years. In the latter case, I've been preoccupied with (and out of the house a lot because of) shooting footage for a movie that, now that I have it all shot-for, I keep saying that I'm "going to" edit. Being that the movie-project is entirely elective, it's a matter of sustaining motivation for it, which involves allowing for my interest's flagging from time to time, part of the sine-wave of inspiration.
Having to do with the former case, I had removed all of the audio files except the sampler medleys and the compilations' tracks from all of My Music by Me Music's Bandcamp pages, and added to those pages links to a vendor site which charged only 2% per transaction and made immediate payment from it to my PayPal account, beating-out Bandcamp on both terms. However, earlier this Spring, after not having logged-in to that site in a year, because I'd no reason to do so if I'd had no new music to upload to it, I discovered that the "cover" art files for almost all my releases were missing from its pages. I e-mailed the proprietor of the site about this, and he explained that back in September of last year, there had been some security breach of their central database, which resulted in the loss of graphics files. He further explained that, since I'd not logged-in in quite some time, he "assumed" that my accounts (of which I had three) were "inactive," so he hadn't seen it fit to contact me about the security breach and the deletion of all those image files (we're talkin' about a hundred of 'em). Then he said, "So you're going to have to re-upload all those image files." (Oh, I do, now?)
though his compounded incompetence and insolence weren't bad enough, there was also the other matter I'd discovered upon logging-in: that the site was no longer paying-out by PayPal, with a credit card now required to keep on file with the company for billing of sales fees at the end of each month. As though a security breach of the company's central database resulting in the deletion of image files weren't enough, the possibility of a security breach resulting in the theft of credit-card numbers and associated personal information is not something I want to worry about. Since the proprietor showed himself to be a typical arrogant techie prick, and because the credit-card/no PayPal thing was not what I'd signed-up for, I deleted my accounts with that vendor-site company.
Then I decided to suck it in and re-up my stuff to Bandcamp, albeit with a bit of tail-dragging. In order to make myself feel as though my tail were wagging instead, I decided to turn it into some protracted commemorative ritual, revisiting, while re-releasing, music that I've made since exactly 10 years before; in chronological order over the course of this year. Ideally, I'll be finished with it by the end of this summer, but I'm granting myself though the end of this year to complete the process. I don't like looking back much, but enough time has transpired since I'd made a lot of the music for me to have a semi-objective appreciation of it. I almost miss being so prolific, and though I could be, I don't really want to be. Additionally, I want to produce less quantity in order to focus on greater quality. Letting the field lie fallow promotes fertility of the soil. I also like getting out of the house more.
As for this blog, I'll be posting only when I really have something to say.
